Periodontal Treatment Worcester MA
Gum disease, or periodontal disease, is a serious dental issue that affects more than half of all adults in the United States. Gum disease can lead to other health issues, so getting treatment should be a priority. In the past, the only treatment methods available were removing the affected tooth (extraction) or cutting into the gums to remove the infection and save the tooth. Fortunately, there is now more conservative options as scaling (or deep cleaning), injecting local antibiotics and laser treatment available to treat diseased gums.
Periodontal treatment involves several steps:
- Pocket measurement. As an initial step, your dentist will measure the depth of the gum pockets to see how much your teeth have detached from the gums. This measurement will be done periodically to keep an eye on the health of the gums.
- Calculus removal. The dentist will then use ultrasonic scalers to remove calculus from the surface of the teeth.
- Bacteria removal. A tiny pulsed laser light removes the bacteria and diseased tissue. Some local antibiotics can be administered as well.
- Daily hygiene program that our office will get you started with.
- Three months periodontal maintenance visits with the hygienist.
Health Risks of Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease is a serious condition that not only affects your mouth but other parts of your body as well. That’s why prompt treatment is so important. Left untreated, periodontal disease can affect other body parts and cause medical conditions such as the following:
- Heart disease
- Head and neck cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Breast cancer
- Respiratory issues
- Memory loss
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Kidney disease
- Premature birth
- Low birth weight babies
Laser treatment is available for those who have their natural teeth, as well as those who have implants. If you suspect you might have periodontal disease, contact Dr. Monica Groban today to schedule a consultation.
Benefits of Laser Treatment
If you’re suffering from periodontal disease, you’ll find that laser treatment offers many benefits. They include the following:
- Quick healing. Laser is minimally invasive and unlike major surgery, the patient can heal quickly.
- No cutting involved. This means no cutting or stitches are involved, resulting in quicker recovery.
- No gum recession. No cutting is involved, so you don’t have to worry about your gums receding. You can continue to enjoy your smile.
- Minimal discomfort. Because no surgery is required, you’ll feel better afterward. Most patients report minimal pain.
- Less inflammation and bleeding. Lasers target the infection, which means healthy tissue is not affected. Plus, no cutting means swelling and bleeding are kept to a minimum.
- Increased safety. Laser is safe for those with health issues such as HIV, hemophilia and diabetes.
Contact Us Today
Periodontal disease has serious effects on the entire body. Don’t ignore the symptoms. It won’t go away on its own. Get the treatment you need to eliminate bacteria and pain.
Dr. Monica Groban can easily eliminate the bacteria in gums with periodontal laser treatment. To schedule an appointment, give our office a call at (508) 753-3200.